Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Looking Back

In 2009...

Steve moves to Montgomery in January and starts a new job.

The girls and I move to Montgomery in February. I start a new job and Hailey and Brooke start at Montgomery ISD approximately 6 months into the school year. They ride the school bus for the first time ever and come home after school. They prove to be very responsible by getting homework done before Steve and I get home in the evening; however, they did break the "too many snacks rule" on occasion. Kelly starts daycare at ABC Academy. They all adjust very well and we all agree being in the country is a nice change from the city.

We become proud pet owners for the first time in many years... the original plan was to get one kitten, but have officially ended up with three. I enjoy giving my sister a hard time for not coming to pick her kitten up, but every time she says she's coming to get him, I tell her "no, we've gotten attached".

School lets out for the summer. Brooke turns 7 and has her birthday party at McDonald's. Mom worried about the venue, but honestly, it was a hit.

Kelly leaves daycare and enjoys the last month of summer at home with her older sisters. Hailey vacations in Branson with Steve's family and they all spend some much needed time with Pops and Mae Mae over the summer in Arlington.

School starts and for the first time I have three kids in school - 6th, 2nd and kindergarten. It's hard to believe. They are growing fast and life begins to get much easier for me as the parent of three.

Hailey turns 12 and instead of having a birthday party, goes to the deer lease with her Dad for her birthday weekend. She spends some much needed time with two of her close friends, Katie and Sam. Honestly, I was sad because we were apart for the first time on her birthday.


Steve has shoulder surgery the beginning of October and will be off work for the remainder of the year. It's nice having a "stay at home Dad". When he goes back to work my mornings will become chaotic all over again.


We enjoy Halloween and have a scarecrow, 1/2 angel 1/2 devil and a witch to show off while trick or treating.


Hailey starts to feel bad. She experiences stomach pain, fatigue, weight loss and occasional vomiting. We visit the pediatrician, hospital for a CT scan and a see a GI specialist. She is diagnosed with colitis and we are told a colonoscopy/endoscopy is needed in order to diagnose the cause. This is scheduled for 12/31.


We spend Thanksgiving in Arlington and have a relaxing time, as usual. This was my first time back since moving and it made me realize I miss a few things about Arlington.


Kelly turns 6...WOW hard to believe. We have her birthday party at McDonald's and everyone has a blast. I realize after inviting the whole class we could have gotten away with only inviting Abygail Jordan, her BFF. Oh my...birthdays close to Christmas are a challenge! This I know since I'm a December baby too.


Christmas comes and we celebrate the birth of baby Jesus. We have a great Christmas and make it through the holidays even though Hailey did not feel her best. We enjoy catching up with relatives (Michelle, Meredith, Marla and their families, Aunt Shirley and Kay, as well as the Hoffart gang). We also enjoyed seeing Chad, Nichole and Addy.

December 30th rolls around and we get ready to prep Hailey for the test on the 31st. Needless to say, it doesn't work so we have no choice other than to be admitted to Texas Children's. We check in at 7PM and have about a 24 hour stay. The experience for her was no fun, the experience from a parent standpoint was impressive. Great facility, great people who care about kids. Our suspicion was confirmed...Hailey is diagnosed with Crohns. We're weren't excited about her prognosis, but also know it could be worse. Steve and I are committed to do whatever it takes to manage her disease going forward.

Steve and I gave Hailey a necklace with a wishbone charm on the way to the hospital. The card with it read...we all need a backbone, a funnybone and a wishbone. I wish for HAPPY and HEALTHY days ahead in 2010.

No comments: