Monday, October 4, 2010

Frank ~ January 10, 1933 ~ September 9, 2010

Thursday, September 9, 2010 ranked as one of the most difficult days in my life.

It was suppose to be an enjoyable day as Steve was celebrating his 45th Birthday. Birthdays may not be fun for Steve and me as we get older, but they sure are fun for our girls so we have to celebrate rather we want to or not.

But, instead, I received the phone call. The phone call you're never prepared for, but think about occasionally as your parents get older. Mom called me at work to say Daddy had been in a tractor accident and that I needed to come immediately. I called her two times while driving to try and determine what was going on...will he be okay, is he dead...but, never got a straight answer from her. I had no idea what I would be faced with upon arrival. When I got there, Daddy lay lifeless in a field surround by 8 paramedics (I know because I counted). Mom was there and had already spoken to the paramedics. They told us it appeared that he had been trying to jump start his tractor, the tractor started moving, his impulse was to jump onto the tractor, but he lost his footing. He slipped, the tractor ran over his chest and the shredder followed (the shredder was not on thank God). The paramedics stated that they would “work” on him for 20 minutes max. All I wanted to do was get closer to him, touch him, hug him, say I love you one more time, but every time I inched closer a sweet police officer would pull me away and then console me. The 20 minutes seemed liked forever, yet not long enough when they are trying to revive your loved one. A paramedic soon came over to talk with Mom and me. He said they had done everything they could to bring him back, he confirmed that Dad did not have a pulse upon their arrival, and that they needed Mom’s permission to stop CPR…ugh…really…do you have to stop! Before Mom answered the paramedic told us that if for some reason his heart started beating that he would not be the same man. Mom laid her head back on the car seat, cried and softly said…you can stop. And, with those words it was the end of our life with this gentle loving man. He was a special husband, father, paw paw, and friend who will be missed by many!

My aunt came across this picture today from a wedding we attended in October 2009. This is most likely the most recent picture of us together (my Mom is in red).
What a happy healthy man he was at 77 years young! He went too early, but is singing his praises in Heaven! God certainly has a new special angel on his team!

I love you Daddy and miss you so very much!

No comments: